For most construction workers, the concept of a crane HDS whether the HDS crane is completely known. However, people who are not in contact with construction very often do not realize how HDS cars work and in what case they are used.
Vehicles with an HDS crane can be seen very often on the roads near construction sites. It is a device that is used by mounting the crane on a car, usually a truck, which allows for quick movement and versatile use in construction and heavy transport.
What does HDS actually stand for?
HDS are hydraulic cranes or cranes mounted on lorries, used most often for reloading. The reloading cranes are equipped with a mechanical drive consisting of a rotating column on the base and a boom system located at its top. They belong to the category of cranes, and the most common of them are:
- HDS cars for loading wood are called forest cars, where a special grapple for carrying the tree replaces the hook,
- HDS cranes mounted directly behind the driver's seat, used in transport companies,
- HDS cranes attached behind the cargo tank,
- cranes welded to the center of the vehicle part,
- cranes mounted on semi-trailers and tractors,
- self-propelled cranes mounted rigidly on the chassis of the car, the boom works horizontally or vertically, usually intended for general use.
The components of the HDS loading crane include:
- supports - provide stability and protect against tilting,
- base - the equipment column is placed on it,
- boom - changes the track length, is extended manually or hydraulically,
- columns - a vertical element attached to the base of the crane, the boom mounted on it conducts movements in the horizontal range,
- accessories - auxiliary equipment.
Application of hydraulic car cranes.
As we have already mentioned, HDS are most often used in the transport of heavy and unusual goods, including containers, machines or construction materials that we are not able to transport using a car with a semi-trailer. They help in unloading and loading the transported raw materials as well as machines. Which means that the entire process is carried out with one vehicle. There is no need to use additional forklifts, cranes or other equipment. They definitely speed up and make construction works easier, as well as mounting at heights, e.g. attaching banners. In the forestry industry, transporting cut boards to car trailers, feeding various materials, including structural elements to the roof. They will also prove themselves in works where various types of grippers and accessories should be used, and thus, they will cope with virtually every possible form of load.
Attachments used when working with the HDS crane.
Why is the auxiliary equipment so important when operating a loading crane? It is behind their support that the goods are fastened, which can then be placed by a crane in a place chosen by us.
- Ropes are used when HDSs are equipped with winches. They must meet specific requirements. Ropes with a certificate, approved for production by the manufacturer are used. Ropes with visible damage may not be used. After unrolling, it cannot wave, it must be straight, otherwise the use of the rope is forbidden.
- Slings are the main auxiliary equipment used in the case of cargo securing. A distinction is made between closed-loop, single-leg, two-leg, three-leg and four-leg slings. The load is mounted depending on its weight, location of the center of gravity, as well as shape and dimensions. It is true that the slings are much stronger than the ropes, because they are in the form of chains of steel and fiber ropes. However, this does not change the fact that the operator still has to take good care of them.
- Hooks, like the previous auxiliary devices, also need to be checked before use. They are components of the construction of a reloading crane. The operator, operating the cranes directly with them or indirectly with the use of slings, easily transports the load.
However, it should be remembered that the above-mentioned things really help, and not only cause more misfortune. It happens that even fatal accidents occur in situations of improper operation and improper maintenance of the attachment. When working with the HDS loader crane, you should remember about the safety requirements and health and safety regulations.
What must not be done when working with a loading crane:
- do not lift loads with parameters unknown to us and weight exceeding the permissible lifting capacity of the device,
- it is forbidden to lift loads that are permanently attached to the ground or frozen to the ground,
- It is forbidden to work with an inoperative HDS crane and its accessories,
- it is forbidden to work with the crane without a valid UDT decision and without a valid entry in the maintenance log,
- it is forbidden to move loads directly over people or workstations,
- it is not recommended to work in unsuitable terrain, at work with disconnected and ungrounded power lines,
- you should also be aware of other activities that may be dangerous.
Pre- and post-work duties to be performed by the operator.
Before starting his work, the driver must read the crane's technical and operational documentation, the operator's manual and the crane's approval certificate. If you do not have any of these documents, you will not be able to work. As previously mentioned, it also needs to perform comprehensive maintenance in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions. Consequently, inspect the equipment, check the tightness of elements, operation of hydraulic locks, extension of supports, as well as security and locks. If he finds any shortcomings, he reports it to the supervisor.
While working, the operator checks the position of the terrain and the range of the crane's reach. Prepares it for loading work, properly hooking the load and its securing, constantly closely observing the luggage and the crane during work, adheres to signs and signals. In the event of irregularities or the risk of an accident, it reacts immediately.
After finishing work, the driver folds the crane and supports and secures them in the transport position. Thoroughly checks that the loads do not pose any danger. Takes the vehicle to the garage, where it cleans the working elements of dirt. It comprehensively protects the machine against use by inappropriate people and gives the documents to an authorized person.