Types of mobile platforms
Slow-moving - They consist of a body, a work platform and a connected load-bearing structure with the body, on which the work platform is mounted. They are electrically or diesel powered, the first are used in open buildings. The second type, due to the fumes emitted, is used in closed areas. Slow-running machines have their own drive, which is why they are mobile and irreplaceable. Freewheel lifts are very easy to use.
Transportable - adapted to be towed behind a vehicle, mounted on the trailer's chassis. Called special trailers, approved for road traffic.
Self-propelled - a very simple scheme, namely the working platform, was placed next to the boom on the car chassis and thus allows the platform to be transported on the road.
Stationary - Same as all of them mobile platforms are materials handling equipment subject to technical supervision. It is necessary to register UDT stationary platforms. They are not equipped with a mechanism that allows them to be moved, therefore they are adapted to work in one place.
Hanging - the operator of such a device must have UDT qualifications (qualification certificate of the Office of Technical Inspection), because they belong to devices subject to technical supervision. The suspended platform consists of a work platform suspended on two ropes placed on the girders. It is most often used for tall buildings, bridges, viaducts, chimneys, masts, ships and oil rigs.
Mast - consists of one or two masts, a working platform that moves along the mast, a chassis and a drive unit thanks to which the platform moves. Thanks to their compact dimensions, they work well in narrow corridors and spaces between shelves.
Hazards while working on mobile platforms
The operator should know that the slightest error can lead to accidents or even death. At the very beginning of our work, a comprehensive risk assessment should be prepared. We should not underestimate the risks in the position of our work, because our life is at stake. It is by far the most important that the operator has relevant knowledge and training on hazards with the work platforms. It is important to comply with the requirements of safe work:
- Construction work review and risk assessment
- Checking the machine before starting work
- Choice of protection of personal assets
- Choosing the right mobile platform
- Final inspection
- Prepare a document with all the observations
- Assess who could be hurt and how it could happen
The most common accidents at work on mobile platforms are:
- Electric shock
- Falls from heights
- Hitting other structural elements
- Captured by moving mechanisms
The most common cause of accidents involving mobile platforms:
- Failure to comply with health and safety rules
- Working in unfavorable weather (storm, frost, rain)
- Overload of the work platform
- Machine not leveling or not leveling properly
- Inappropriate technical condition of the device and its faults
- Increasing the working height by scaffolding or ladders
- Incorrect technical condition of the movable landing
- Failure to comply with the recommendations of the manufacturers of mobile platforms and the vehicle operating instructions
We should also focus on the area in which we are going to carry out the work. We are exposed to constant risk factors and we should remember to deal with this problem from the very beginning. There are many examples and the most important of them are:
- Potential collisions with other vehicles
- Presence of unauthorized persons
- Wires on the ground such as rubble, boulders, posts
- Dangerous places
- Shallow trenches
- Circular openings, drains and other burrows
- Electric cables